title How to Report and Replace Your Lost Or Stolen Green Card

How to Report and Replace Your Lost Or Stolen Green Card

Immigration Attorney Atlanta Jameel Manji author 1Author: Jameel Manji, Founder, Manji Law, P.C.

Mr. Manji founded Manji Law in 2016 to follow his passion of helping people navigate the complicated immigration system. Mr. Manji graduated from Georgia State University College of Law and received Master of Taxation from the Georgia State’s J. Mack Robinson College of Business. Published on: July 27, 2021.

If you have a lost or stolen green card, knowing what to do next is essential. This guide covers everything you need to know about replacing it.

Book a Consultation

We look forward to speaking with you. The first consultation fee is applied to the cost of your legal services.

Jameel Manji

Jameel Manji, Manji Law

Manji Law is your complete immigration solution. If you are seeking assistance with the Atlanta Immigration Court, please give us a call. Manji Law can provide valuable insight, assistance, and a guiding hand to help you achieve your goals.

How Do You Renew or Replace Your Green Card If It Got Lost or Stolen?

A green card is also known as your permanent resident card, which serves as proof that you legally live and work in the United States. If your green card is lost, getting a replacement can be extremely time-consuming and challenging.

As the immigration attorney Atlanta immigrants can count on, we at Manji Law, P.C. are prepared to help you through these challenges. We’ve also put together this comprehensive guide to help you know what to expect before you begin taking action.

Rest assured that losing your green card does not mean losing your permanent resident status, so there is no need for you to worry. However, before thinking of traveling or applying for a job, you might consider getting a new green card to avoid trouble.

Navigating Green Card Loss: Domestic vs. International Scenarios

Losing a Green Card Within the United States

When you realize your green card has vanished within the U.S. borders, breathe deeply—solutions are at hand. Initiate the recovery process by filing Form I-90, the Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. Patience is necessary as the processing time might stretch up to six months. In urgent cases, particularly if international travel looms on your horizon, a swift visit to your local USCIS office might be warranted. There, request an I-551 stamp in your passport, providing proof of your residency status for one year. If a passport is not in your possession, coordinate with the nearest U.S. Consulate or U.S. Embassy to secure one.

Losing a Green Card Abroad

The stakes rise when a green card is lost outside the U.S. Firstly, report the loss to local authorities and obtain a police report. This document proves crucial for your next step: securing a carrier transportation letter via Form I-131A, which incurs a $575 filing fee. Visit the nearest U.S. Consulate or U.S. Embassy to request this boarding foil, which facilitates your return to the U.S. without your physical green card. Upon re-entering the United States, the journey to replace your green card isn’t over. You must file Form I-90 to replace the lost card and restore your peace of mind.

This section should be placed after the paragraph that begins with “It’s important to note that whether you have lost your green card while in the United States or abroad could change the status of your replacement request.

How Time-Consuming Is The Lost Green Card Replacement Process?

To replace your permanent resident card, there are some essential steps you need to follow. Firstly, you need to fill out Form I-90 or the Application to Replace Permanent Green Card. Completed government forms have to be sent to the USCIS. You might be asked to provide evidence, documentation, or support a filing fee. Our guide will explain and walk you through the entire process of replacing your lost green card.

Besides losing your green card, there are other situations when you must replace your green card. If damaged, expired, lost, issued with wrong information, or if you never received your original green card, you absolutely need to replace it.

As mentioned above, the replacement process might depend on whether you lost your green card while in the United States or outside the U.S. For more information, you can browse our website or call a green card lawyer directly at 678.902.2999 without hesitation!


How To Replace Stolen Or Lost Green Card Fast

Replacing your green card due to it being stolen could take a lot of time. Once you’ve filed Form I-90, you might need temporary proof of your status as a green card holder. Schedule an appointment at a USCIS office and get an “Alien Documentation, Identification & Telecommunications (ADIT)” stamp added to your passport.

Lost Green Card Replacement Processing Time

If your green card is lost, the replacement process will take a while. But once your green card replacement application is approved, you will receive your new green card by mail.


How Long Does It Take To Replace Permanent Resident Card?

The average processing time for replacing a lost, stolen, or damaged green card is six to nine and a half months. However, it is good to know that the estimated time constantly changes. You can check the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website for an exact estimation.

Report Stolen or Lost Green Card

Permanent residents who lost their green cards must file Form I-131A and submit it to the U.S. Embassy. If you notice that your card is missing, you can go to a police station to file a police report. Such a report is the most credible type of document to show to immigration authorities. Continue with applying for a replacement card, calling your bank, and documenting everything you do.


How To Report A Lost Or Stolen Green Card in the U.S.

If you do have a copy of your green card, you can submit it with your application, together with your driver’s license, passport, birth certificate, or a non-driver ID. You should mail your form and pay a $450 application fee to USCIS.

Your replacement green card can be denied for different reasons. In that case, you need to submit a motion to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) so they can reconsider their decision. For USCIS to reconsider your denial, you must file Form I-290B (Notice of the Appeal and Motion) within 30 days to the office where you initially submitted your replacement request. You will be charged a fee of $675 upon filing the request.

If you have an expired permanent resident card, you will continue to be a lawful permanent resident. No fines, penalties, or additional fees will be imposed. However, since 2007, owning a green card without an expiration date has become illegal and it must be immediately replaced. To board with an expired green card, you must hold an original notice of action (Form I-797).

What’s The Lost Green Card Replacement Fee?

The standard green card replacement fee is $455, to which the $85 cost of the biometrics services is added.

With both of these fees added together, you must pay a total of $540. Some applications do not require you to pay for biometrics services.


Seek Legal Advice if Your Green Card Is Lost or Stolen

If you are older than 18, you are required to carry your green card with you at all times, so you can prove your lawful permanent resident status. Not having your green card with you is a misdemeanor, and if you are found guilty, you may face jail time of up to 30 days and a fine of up to $100. Since the law imposes that you have to carry your green card, not its copy, losing it or having it stolen is not an uncommon event.

If you are asking for a visa renewal, a green card, or looking for residency in the United States, having an immigration lawyer on your side can make all the difference in the outcome of your case.

At Manji Law, P.C., attorney Jameel Manji and the office team are here to help. Whether you speak English or Spanish, our law firm will deliver exceptional results and will guide you through each step of the process. Please call us at 678.902.2999 or browse our official website for more information. We look forward to assisting you!

Immigration Resources

Georgia Immigration Law Explained

Georgia Immigration Law is much the same as immigration law throughout the USA. However, there are also regulations specific to Georgia like E-Verify regulations and rules for state/city law enforcement, and there are local sites and agencies to be aware of.

Get trusted advice on Georgia Immigration

Your Guide to the Atlanta Immigration Court

Navigating the Atlanta GA Court can be very difficult as there are many agencies involved and lots of moving parts. This page will walk you through the basics of what to expect if you’ve been detained or received a notice to appear in this court in Atlanta, Georgia.

Your all-in-one guide to the Atlanta Immigration Court


Complete Guide to I-485

The process, which begins with form I-485, can be complicated. This page will guide you through the basics of an Adjustment Of Status and let you know what to expect.

Get all the details in one place about I-485

#1 Guide on I-765

When coming to the USA, finding a job is probably one of the first things you’ll want to do. However, before you can begin working in the U.S. you should obtain a work permit. Read on to find out how you can use Form I-765 to apply for the right to work in the United States.

I-765 Information and Tips